Enjoy an extra delicious treat this Valentine’s Day with these mouth-watering slices of chocolate French toast with strawberry syrup.
- 12 slices (1 inch thick) French bread
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup whipping cream
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Additional semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 lb. strawberries, halved
- ½ cup real maple syrup
- Grease the bottom of a 13x9 pan and line with bread slices.
- Next, heat milk, cream, butter, granulated sugar, vanilla, and salt in a 2-quart saucepan until simmering over medium-low heat. Stir occasionally.
- Once simmering, remove from heat and stir in ¾ cup of chocolate chips until melted and smooth.
- Gradually beat in eggs until well combined. The mixture should thicken.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over bread, coating completely and turning over each slice if needed.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, but no longer than 8 hours. Remove from refridgerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Bake until chocolate mixture sets, approximately 25 – 30 minutes.
- To make the strawberry syrup, heat strawberries and maple syrup in a quart saucepan. Simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce to medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until strawberries are soft. Gently mash the berries with a fork or potato masher. Pour over French toast slices and sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
Image Credit: Betty Crocker